Home Mufti Ebrahim Salejee Ramadhaan 1434 Morning majlis – Saturday 18th Ramadhaan / 27th July

Ramadhaan 1434 Audio Downloads

Morning majlis – Saturday 18th Ramadhaan / 27th July

Highlights of Hadhrat Mufti Ebrahim Salejee Saheb's Majlis

1. Every believer enjoys a connection with Allah Ta‘ala merely on account of his imaan. Allah Ta‘ala says: “Allah Ta‘ala is the friend of the believers.” Just as a phone gets connected to a network through a sim card, similarly the so called connecting sim card of a believer is his imaan. Whilst every Mu’min enjoys a basic connection with Allah Ta‘ala there are some who work on that connection and make it stronger. They are classified as the auliyaa, (the special friends of Allah Ta‘ala) regarding whom the Quraan says: “Indeed the friends of Allah Ta‘ala will not have fear nor will they be grieved.” 

2. The procedure of working on ones imaan and making it stronger will have to be sought from our Mashaayikh. They will direct us on how to attain that perfection as they have been trained for this by their elders. One method they prescribe is to engage in zikr. Whilst every zikr is definitely beneficial, there however lies greater benefit in making zikr collectively. This does not refer to zikr in a chorus form where one person recites and the rest follow him, rather it refers to when a group of people sit closely together in one place and each one of them engage in zikr individually. This type of collective zikr is also sanctioned in the Quraan and hadeeth. Moulana Thaanwi (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) says that one added benefit of collective zikr is the passing on of good qualities from person to person. What is meant here is that every person has some brilliant and outstanding quality and trait in his heart. One person may have generosity and then another may have gratitude whilst the third person may have patience and so forth and so on. When people engage in zikr collectively then these qualities begin to rub on from person to person.

3. Zikr is the greatest thing as the Quraan says: “Indeed the remembrance of Allah Ta‘ala is the greatest.” All our efforts are simply to achieve this zikr. The hadeeth tell us that the best mujaahid is the one who remembers Allah Ta‘ala the most. The same applies to all other acts of worship. Their value increases based on how much more remembrance of Allah Ta‘ala is in them. The effort of the khanqah is to instil this zikr deep into our systems. Whatever we do must be firstly lillah i.e. only for Allah and for his pleasure. Secondly it must be fillah i.e. according to the way Allah Ta‘ala wants them to be as shown to us by his Rasul (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). And thirdly it must be billah i.e. we must believe that whatever we do is not of our own accord. Rather it is only through the grace and permission of Allah Ta‘ala. To achieve this we will have to close our eyes from everything else. 

4. Zikr is actually the missing ingredient in our lives. We are doing a lot of other works of deen but we fall short in the aspect of zikr. Whereas with this zikr all the other good deeds we carry out gets a different shine. Whether it be our ‘umrah, tilaawat, namaaz or whichever act of worship, they all have a new life in them. Hazrat Shah Waliyyullah (rahmatullahi ‘alahi) expounding on the importance of zikr says: “Zikr is actually like the soul in the body.” Zikr brings flavour not only to our ibaadaat but to our earthly life. Hence a man in zikr is always happy at heart and is not stormed by frustration, anxiety and uneasiness. Every little thing doesn’t begin to irritate and frustrate him. He is not constantly stuck in these thoughts that why are people not respecting me, why do people make things so difficult for me. Qari Tayyib Sahib (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) explains that each limb receives its fulfilment accordingly, the tongue through something tasty, the nose through some pleasant smell, the ear through a soothing sound, the eye through a beautiful scene. None of these can be swopped around. You cannot expect to soothe the eye through a pleasant smell. And nor can you try to soothe the ear through a beautiful scene. Each limb needs to be given its respective form of fulfilment. So similarly the heart too craves for its satisfaction. It has also got its own unique way of enjoyment like the rest of the limbs. Its enjoyment lies in zikr. Nothing else can give it the satisfaction it needs besides zikr. Beautiful scenery, pleasant smells, tasty food and soothing sounds may satisfy their respective limbs but they can bring no joy to the heart. Going that route is rather foolish. When the heart is starved from zikr then does it fall into despondency and depression.

5. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) likened the one making zikr to a person with life, and the one who doesn’t make zikr to a dead person. So this negligence is equivalent to death. Every other action has an amount, whereas for zikr we are instructed to do it in abundance. The more the merrier. However a point to note is that if we wish to achieve the desired results of zikr, then it is imperative that we contact our elders and engage in zikr under their guidance and instruction. If someone prints a copy of a R200 note with all the necessary details, then despite having all the similarities, he won’t be able to purchase something worth even R2. Just because his note has not received official endorsement. So in the same way if we want to receive the complete benefit of zikr, we will have to get our method endorsed by our elders.

6. In the age and time we live in, there is a calculated effort to remove Allah Ta‘ala from the equation, and in turn defeat the entire objective of zikr. This is actually the meaning of secular, i.e. to promote godlessness. In my analysis I feel that this is the root cause for the various problems we encounter today. The need is to acknowledge and accept that this is the biggest problem of the age and then work on remedying it. 

Al-Haadi - Site Map